We have prepared for you a compilation of interesting facts regarding the recent European football Championships in Poland and Ukraine. If you have any interesting stats or anecdotes you want to share, feel free to leave a comment below !
After our focus on Spain on Monday, here are some broader facts about the tournament as a whole :
- With 11 appearances, Germany has taken part in the most European championships (3 titles, 3 times runner-ups).
- Ukraine was the only team in this Euro 2012 to take part in the competition for the first time.
- 76 goals were scored throughout the tournament, thus an average of 2.5 goals per game
-The quarter-final game between Greece and Germany was the most prolific, with 6 goals scored (4-2 for Germany).
- The biggest win was recorded by Spain. The champions beat Ireland 4-0 in the group stages before trouncing Italy in the final (also 4-0).
- 1 440 896 spectators attended the Euro 2012 matches inside the stadiums : an average attendance of 46 481 fans per game.
- The players were fairly disciplined this year, as an average of 0.1 red card and 3.9 yellow cards per game were awarded by the referees.
-Spain’s Fernando Torres finished top goalscorer with… 3 goals ! A very low tally with regards to the record held by Michel Platini, who scored 9 in 1984.
-Euro 2012 matches were broadcasted live in more than 200 countries.
-The official mobile application developed jointly by UEFA and Orange was downloaded 2 million times.
Below is my selection of players to remember in the UEFA Euro 2012 :
Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Iker Casillas (Spain), Manuel Neuer (Germany)
Defenders : Gerard Pique, Sergio Ramos, Jordi Alba (Spain), Fabio Coentrao, Pepe (both Portugal), Philip Lahm (Germany)
Midfielders : Daniele De Rossi, Andrea Pirlo (Italy), Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta, Sergio Busquets, Xabi Alonso (Spain), Sami Khedira, Mesut Ozil (Germany), Steven Gerrard (England)
Forwards: Mario Balotelli (Italy), Cesc Fabregas, David Silva (Spain) Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden)
Did any player in particular catch your eye ? Do you have any stats or fun facts to share with us ? Leave a comment below !