Before revealing our program, let’s take a quick look at the latest news from the Cannes Film Festival, 3 weeks ahead of the opening ceremony.
- 2012 marks the 65th Cannes Film Festival
- The official Cannes Film Festival poster is devoted to Marilyn Monroe, marking the 50th anniversary of the disappearance of the American actress and Hollywood idol.
- Bérénice Béjo will present the opening and closing ceremonies after her triumph in The Artist.
- Italian actor and director Nino Moretti will be President of the Jury. He won the Palme d’or in 2001 for his movie The Son’s Room.
- The official selection of the Cannes Film Festival was revealed during the press conference on Thursday April 19, 2012; Wes Anderson’s movie Moonrise Kingdom will open the festivities and Thérèse Desqueyroux will close the festival in homage to its director Claude Miller who recently passed away.
- In terms of stars, we are expecting Brad Pitt, Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson, Zac Efron, Kirsten Dunst and many more, since they are all starring in movies in the competition.
- Animated feature film Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted will be screened, but will not compete.
- The slogan is “Yes we Cannes”
- English actor Tim Roth will preside the Un Certain Regard jury, the winner of which will be revealed on May 26.
- Directors’ Fortnight has revealed its official selection: 21 feature films including 2 documentaries, and 2 programs of short films you can find here.
- Critic’s Week has revealed its selection; Broken by Rufus Norris (UK) will open the 2012 edition, while the closing film has yet to be named.
All we need now are the names of the jury members that are setting tongues wagging in the press…Ryan Gosling, Jean-Paul Gauthier, Diane Kruger and even George Clooney are among the most cited names at the moment, but for now it is just rumor. You will have to wait a little longer… but we’ll keep you in the loop